ICX Media is a DC-based social video intelligence start-up; we use machine learning and NLP to identify patterns and trends in social media data to help inform content creation and acquisition strategies for media and entertainment companies.
Whether it’s frontend, backend, or data science, we use a stack that allows us to solve problems quickly and push traditional development boundaries. Our languages are Clojure, AngularJS, and Python; our databases are Datomic, ElasticSearch, and PostgreSQL; we use Docker for containerization and Kubernetes for orchestration.
The data science team is software development-oriented, focused on building out small, modular, custom Python libraries to wrangle data, train machine learning models, and deploy code as microservices. Like the engineers, we work on a 2-week sprint cycle, submit pull requests, do code reviews, write docstrings and unit tests, and consider not only the accuracy of our models but also the efficiency of our code.
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU
- Dedicated and knowledgeable peers, including senior Clojure and Python programmers and machine learning practitioners who serve as mentors.
- Truly cutting-edge technology, leveraged in sensible and practical ways.
- Interactive learning environment.
YOUR COMMITMENT TO US
- Getting the job done
- Openness to a diverse set of ideas
- Willingness to do anything to be successful
- Play well with others
- Situational awareness and common sense
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Mining, analyzing, visualizing and modeling video, comment, and consumer metadata from social media platforms.
- Using Natural Language Processing (NLP) to process human language data from writing and transcribed speech.
- Processing, analyzing and building analytical and predictive classification models on data related to audio, speech, video, image, text and numeric values.
- Using feature analysis and feature engineering for detection and extraction of useful features from raw digital data to derive key insights across projects.
- Researching, building, and developing statistical machine learning models and recommendation systems.
- Developing social network graphs to represent relationships between creators, content, and consumers.
- Prototyping and developing software to extract insights from raw data, extrapolate patterns, identify themes and trends, assign scores and rankings, and make predictions.
- Assist with project management tasks such as sprint planning, task sizing/scoping, prioritization, and quarterly planning.
- Support clients and teammates with ad-hoc data requests, product training, and analysis.
EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in some analytical, technical, mathematical, or social scientific field.
- 1-3 years of data ingestion, munging, analysis, and predictive modeling experience either on the job or in an educational program.
- Comfort with Python programming and experience with the Python data science stack (e.g. Requests, BeautifulSoup, NumPy, Pandas, SciPy, Matplotlib, scikit-learn, Yellowbrick).
- Coursework and/or direct experience in training machine learning models using scikit-learn, Spark MLlib, PyTorch, and/or Tensorflow.
- Experience working with databases (ideally both relational and NoSQL-flavored) and a query language like SQL, Elastic Query, Cypher, JQL, GraphQL, etc.
- Familiarity with using a version control system (e.g. Git and GitHub) for versioning and collaboration.
- Exposure to a range of different data formats for numeric, text, audio, image, and video data (e.g. CSV, XML, JSON, Protobuf, TIFF, JPEG, WAV, MP3, MP4, AVI).
- An appetite for finding and leveraging open source tools to solve problems.
- Live in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area
We operate in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where everyone on the team is committed to the success and growth of ICX Media. Our culture is highly entrepreneurial, and our success comes from our employees who voice their opinions and ideas to facilitate growth to our bottom line. We reward hard work, support career development, offer comprehensive benefits and foster a fun and friendly work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com. No telephone calls, please. Please reference the position you’re applying for in the subject.